St.-Annen-Straße 11 - Emilie Isabella Haas
From 1926 on Emilie Isabella Haas, who was single all her life, lived in the Senior’s Home of the Jewish Community on St.-Annen-Straße 11. At first she lived on the second floor and then in 1934 she moved to the first floor.
Emilie Isabella Haas came into the world on 8 August 1855 in Heinsberg, in what is called the lower Rhine area.
In July 1883 as a 28 year old she moved from Hanover to Schüsselbuden 24 in Lübeck. She earned her living by working as a sales clerk. As of this writing, it is not known where she found employment.
In 1894 she found a flat at Mühlenstraße 5, then later Mühlenstraße 33. These were followed by three further moves: in 1899 to Schüsselbuden 16, in 1907 to Mühlenstraße 21 and in 1919 to Hüxstraße 43. Just before her 71st birthday she moved from Hüxstraße 43 to the Senior’s Home.
On 19 July 1942 she, as an 87 year old individual, was forced to leave Lübeck by means of deportation to the ghetto in Theresienstadt (the present day Terezín, Czech Republic). She arrived on “Transport VI/2” on 20 July 1942.
Three months after her arrival she died on 27 October 1942.
References in Addition to Standard Reference Materials:
- Adressbücher und Meldekartei der Hansestadt Lübeck (Address and Registration Records of the Hanseatic City of Lübeck)
- Archiv der Hansestadt Lübeck, Staatliche Polizeiverwaltung 109, 110, 124;
- Liste des Ordnungsamtes von 1963 über den Verbleib der Juden aus Lübeck (08.01, 1123)
- Datenpool JSHD der Forschungsstelle “Juden in Schleswig-Holstein” an der Universität Flensburg
- Gedenkbuch Theresienstadt
- Memorbuch zum Gedenken an die jüdischen, in der Schoa umgekommenen Schleswig-Holsteiner und Schleswig-Holsteinerinnen, hrsg. v. Miriam Gillis-Carlebach, Hamburg 1996
- Transportliste Theresienstadt
- Yad Vashem, The Central Database of Shoah Victims’ Names
Heidemarie Kugler-Weiemann, 2010
Translation: Glenn Sellick and Martin Harnisch 2010